Sunday, May 9, 2010

Things I would do differently

... at Faith's birth that I never thought of.

Ask what my care provider does in cases of emergency (hemorrhaging, shoulder dystocia, etc). I of course asked all the usual - csection rates, episiotomy, induction, cord around neck etc etc. But I neglected to ask about certain things that might come up during labor and it kind of bit me in the butt as I wasn't thrilled with the way a couple things were handled.

Insist on skin to skin for a longer period of time. Sure, we had like 20 or 30 minutes before she was weighed & measured and swaddled (and we probably only had that since I was totally naked, otherwise I would have had a gown on). But, after my SIL had issues with her newest baby not latching at all and after doing some research for her- turns out skin to skin is MIGHTY important for breastfeeding.

Don't shower at the hospital... worst shower of my life.

Have someone take pictures... we have no labor pictures and I'm so sad.

I might not take evening primrose oil, even though I think it did help in some aspects- my sister said it could cause hemorrhaging.

Insist on delivering placenta while cord still intact - I wasn't really clear on this and decided to just have a see what happens attitude, and since I was hemorrhaging they cut it early... they did ask me first though. But who is thinking clearly the second after your baby is born?

I don't think we will find out the sex next time. yay!

Overall I was VERY pleased with my hospital experience. The nurse I had was great and never once asked me if I wanted pain meds. And my midwife was there with me the whole time. Everyone was very chill (except when her shoulders got stuck). After she was born they pretty much left us alone (except one nurse kept telling me I wanted tylenol... I didn't - I wasn't in pain. No wonder though, they charge $3/pill!). I really reallly loved the "room service" and not having to cook or do dishes or rely on the kindness of others to bring us a hot meal. In fact- thats one of my motivating factors to go back next time lol. And I've heard the other midwife that also delivers there does "under the table waterbirths"- you aren't supposed to, but she says she won't force you out of the tub lol. And my MW was totally fine with delivering Faith on the toilet lol (never did because I found a more comfortable position, though it wasn't the best for gravity or stuck shoulders). No one pressured us to do any routine newborn things (baths, eye ointment, hepb, etc). I did feel pressure for the vit.k since she had some bruising but we just had to sign something for it.

But, what about next time? Then what will we do with Faith? I don't think they allow young siblings at birth in the hospital. There is a free standing birth center an hour away that our insurance pays for... but an hour away. And homebirth of course would always be my first choice but free or $2000... free... $2000? Its not even that we can't afford $2000... but its FREE at the hospital. Our insurance does pay for homebirth with a CNM but all the ones here are CPM or RM. I did call someone who said our insurance covered her fees, but only because they had her listed as CNM (she was a cpm) and they have a database online of their "preferred providers" she said that she wasn't listed on that for some strange reason and she required payment up front and she would reimburse you when/if the insurance paid her (which is standard). Shady much?

Can't I just pay a midwife like $200 to show up last minute in case anything goes awry... not even to deliver the baby- Michael could do that. lol ;-)

I don't even know why I'm blogging about this. Looking forward to next time I suppose. Michael has been saying Faith needs a baby brother/sister for about 8 months now lol. Still no period though woooohoo 21 months so far.


4 comments:

Tonya said...

I delivered Liza at Memorial North with Ruyak. ALL my kids, plus my sister's daughter was there with us the whole time. We just made sure we had someone there who was dedicated to taking care of the kids (my mom). Sharon was awesome - showed the kids the placenta, the cord, everything. I had a great experience there too - a nurse, Sharon and my sister (a doula) with me the whole time. Eric sat there reading. :-) My kids sat there eating and watching Gilligan's Island on a portable tv. FUN!

The Whites said...

OH! Good to know! Thats who I would be using too, since my midwife is... no longer a midwife.

The Carr Family said...

Well, you know me, but I'd go for the homebirth next time! :-) You totally won't regret the $2,000.00 it's totally worth it. And what would justify it for me, if we had that choice to face, is the germ factor!! I would hate it if my totally healthy baby contracted something and ended up with lots and lots of medical interventions simply because we were in a hospital. :-( Happens a lot. I'm so glad you had a good experience though! That's pretty rare in a hospital.

TulipGirl said...

My first two were in the hospital with CNMs and next two were at home. The second would have been at home (the midwife preferred it!) but, like with you, the insurance and $$ issue had to win out. But we loved our home births. . . *grin* (And insurance paid for #4!)

I am so thankful for the memories I have of each child's birth -- it IS hard work, they call it labor for a reason. But it is also amazing to take part in God's creative process.