Saturday, October 24, 2009

Children

So, we don't believe in using contraception in any form for a number of reasons (unless you count breastfeeding). Aside from the health/abortifacient concerns of hormonal contaception, we believe G0d is sovereign over the womb and think He knows best how many children we should have. People say "God could still make me pregnant" well yes, but if you are taking precautions to ensure it doesn't happen, its similar to running in front of cars on a highway and saying "guess God wants me to die" or living recklessly and saying "guess God wanted this to happen". Thou salt not tempt the Lord thy God (Luke 4:12). Anyway.. not the point here.

The past couple months we have been going to a Messianic Jewish synagogue for a class (maybe I'll post about it later... it was interesting). The teacher/pastor/rabbi (?) also believes in leaving ones family size up to God and in talking about this with him he said (I'm using quotes loosely)

"I couldn't handle the thought of the children I was causing not to be born"

... to be not born, to not be born? I can't figure out what would be correct grammar in this sentence , you get what I'm saying. What a thought, huh? I would guess you can't find one person, who has adopted this way of thinking, that would be able to point out which of their children they wish God wouldn't have given them. Children are an eternal gift.

I've been up since 4 from tooth pain from a filling I had... ON MONDAY. forgive me.

5 comments:

Lauren said...

Thumbs up for this post. :)

The Whites said...

Lauren- who are you? why don't you have a blog? can we be best friends? :-)

Tonya said...

Good post. Since I know you have this mindset, I've been wanting to give you some advice from and "old" woman with 5! :-) Take excellent care of your body. I cannot stress this enough. Take your vitamins. Exercise. Do kegels. Rest. Eat good food. Spend time with the Lord every single blessed day - establish that as your #1 priority right now. You will not regret doing these things! Trust me on these things. I didn't "plan" to have 5 kids, God did. I'd like to think had I known what my body would go through I would have taken better care of it earlier on! (I've been pregnant and nursing since June of 1998 - except for one 2 month period when I weaned Seth. I've been pregnant 7 times in that, miscarried twice.) 1998! Beth, were you even a teenager yet? NO! OK, now I feel even OLDER! :-)

simplemom said...

Agreed, we have been blessed with 6 beautiful children however, God allowed my womb to be closed due to medical issues but if I could have 20 I would!

Lauren said...

Mrs. White - I'm just a blog wanderer, floating around the Christian blogosphere. Why, of course we can be friends! :) I don't have a blog because I'd be really bad at updating it, and honestly, I just don't' know what I'd put in it. You're doing a great job with your blog, though, and we seem to agree on many things. :)