Tuesday, August 18, 2009

daycare

I was in this store today and almost started crying... the saddest thing I've EVER heard...

womanA: are you happy school is starting?
womanB: YES!!!
womanA: oh... where is your baby?
womanB: in daycare where he belongs...
then they started talking about formula


I couldn't believe my ears. I always try to give people the benefit of the doubt, like oh thats sad she must have to put her baby in daycare so she can work because her husband died and they have 6 kids or something equally sad. but to hear that.. I don't even have any words!! And I'm constantly hearing how happy moms are that school is starting again. Why are we always viewing our children as huge burdens and something we need to escape? I'll tell you why... feminism and probably other things, gah.. I don't even want to talk about it.

I think I'll be sad the rest of the day now.

5 comments:

Lauren said...

I totally agree! I've always thought that there was something sad and wrong about such sentiments. It really shows something about our culture and the way we view children.

Kristy said...

IMHO I think women are glad to send their kids to school because they aren't training them at home and can't control them. But that is just my 2 cents ;)

chicago_mom said...

I think once you get used to your kids being somewhere else all day, then you have a hard time adapting to them being home all the time. Laura and I always say that even after a few mornings of them being somewhere else (like when Laura sent her girls to VBS) that all of a sudden you get addicted to how easy it is to get things done, you know?! All of a sudden you can accomplish so much in a morning! But, if you are used to them being around all the time, you just adapt to that too. I'm pretty used to mine being around all the time, but I can tell that a lot of moms aren't. It is a very different mindset isn't it?

Anonymous said...

I'm currently reading a book entitled, "All The Way Home: Feminism & Beyond" by Mary Pride that talks about this issue about how some moms are actually happy to send their children away from their own homes. I don't have children, but I do think this is sad that some women with children feel this way. Also, the more I learn about the truth of public schools, the more sad the issue becomes.

Anonymous said...

That is really sad. It makes you as a Christian mother who knows better.. love them more.

By the way I changed my blog link ..become my fan!