Monday, April 11, 2011

Raw Milk!


I get to pick up my first gallon of raw milk this week! I've been on the wait list for 2 months. I'm so excited to make butter & yogurt & cheese! I don't know how long we will keep it up for, I guess it depends how much we like it. I've been buying low temp pasteurized/nonhomogenized organic milk for $7/gallon (did you know almost all organic milk is ultra-pasteurized, thats worse than they do for non-organic! I've heard it called "ultra-dead" lol), but there is almost no cream AND it starts tasting weird 4 days after you open it so we end up throwing part of it out some weeks. the raw milk is $11/gallon (if I didn't have to pay for a delivery charge it would be less than $9)... ugh! it kills me!

speaking of milk...
I was pumping for about 5 weeks for a friend that adopted a baby, I've stopped now because pumping and nursing while trying to get pregnant doesn't help, plus that 4oz bottle was just an amazing day it was usually more like 2 oz max. But this organization is amazing : Human Milk for Human Babies if you have extra breastmilk, you should really consider finding your local group and donating to a mom unable to breastfeed!

2 comments:

The Carr Family said...

Yay for raw milk!!! So great. :-) I so wish I could make yogurt, but I can't seem to find a culture/starter that isn't fruit based. :-( I really miss yogurt. How do you make cheese?? I'm so interested in that!

Katy said...

Wow! Our raw milk is $4 a gallon (cheaper than organic pasteurized, which is $5-6). Mrs. Carr, check out

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/10/you-can-make-yogurt-in-your-crockpot.html

I've been making it for 3 years now.