Monday, August 2, 2010

Church Nurseries

Today we visited a different church. One with a nursery. It wasn't like a real church nursery, no one demanded I hand my baby over or assigned security bracelets or parent pagers... just a room with toys and an adult assigned to help in it. I thought maybe it would be good, I would get to listen to the sermon finally, Faith would play. Great.

Well, maybe I should start with the fact that I haven't really sat in church for a year. I sit out in the hall with Faith, since our normal church doesn't have a nursery. I liked this fact for a while, but now that she is getting older and just wants to play - I see their purpose. I've also only left her in the care of others once. I had a dentist appointment and was gone for 2 hours when she was 5 months old.... bad bad bad decision she was one very sad baby when I got back and didn't stop crying for 30 more minutes! Mike takes off work for my dentist appointments now ;-)

So, we try out this other church. I go sit back in the nursery with her for 20 minutes, she is playing and interested in toys so I sneak out - back in to the service. But all I can think about is what she is doing back there... is she sad? Does she miss me? Does she know I'm gone? Is she playing with the balls? What are the adults doing in there? Did they do background checks? I might as well be back there with her, because I'm getting nothing from being out here! So after 4 minutes I hear crying. I go back there and sure enough- crying hysterically, splotchy face, hyperventilating... that's my daughter! AHHHH so sad. So... all this to say, I won't be leaving Faith in a nursery again and I'm glad to know that I'm not missing out on anything by our church not having one.

Off-topic: what would you say to someone who asks you when you're going to have another baby when you want one right now but you haven't ovulated in 2 years? haha, pretty specific, right? I should say something like "In God's timing" but I usually say "whenever" to stop myself from saying "ask my ovaries %*#(@!!" UGH I just hate getting that question!

6 comments:

The Carr Family said...

Awww... so sad! :-( I forgot to tell you that we tried the integrated church out here and LOVED it!! We're so super excited. It seems to have everything we want. And they meet in a big gym in an elementary school so Bella has fun just walking back and forth and back and forth across the back. We're thrilled! When she's awake so we can go.

courtney.kempe said...

so glad you have confirmation that your church is right for you! what a great feeling!

as for the other baby, all i can say is, im glad i hadnt asked, cause i almost did haaaaaaaaaa but you are so right, in his timing!

Tonya said...

Well, I, for one, am VERY happy Faith cried. You are not allowed to leave our church. End of discussion! Besides, I NEVER stinking see you there. What's up with that?

Oh, and people are so rude. Whose business is it anyway if you're having more kids? Pet peeve of mine currently - I get asked that question nonstop. Both by good friends and complete strangers. BUG OFF. Is that an appropriate response? :-) So, maybe just smile and say something about how you're spending lots of time trying or something to that effect. Shock them enough to leave you alone.

Tonya said...

Oh, and I have a friend who had to totally wean her babies in order to get pregnant again. Guess you might just have to decide which you like more - nursing or baby #2??

The Whites said...

haha Tonya! We probably won't be there this Sunday either- we are moving to another house on base :-)

Monica said...

Hi, you don't know me, I stumbled upon your blog from the Zimmerman's. I love your babywearing pictures! I love babywearing, its my 9month old son's favorite way to fall asleep.

Regarding church nurseries...we don't utilize either (we have an almost 3 year old and a 9 month old). I figure God gives special graces to moms of young children at church as they are trying to show their children the way (amidst definite craziness some days)...and what better way for children to learn than being right there at the Lord's table with mom and dad.

I didn't ovulate for over a year after my first...God's timing. Keep nursin' that babe, nothin' better than mama's milk.

God bless!